I’ve never liked eating coconut. It’s a texture thing for me. There’s something about the kinda crunchy but kinda not strings of pulp that get caught in your teeth that grosses me out. But drinking it is another story! I love the taste of it, especially in a cold Pina Colada on a hot summer day while chillin’ poolside or at the beach.
Or, more commonly, in my daily Morning Power Pain Fighting Energy Increasing Smoothie. Not only does it make my shake taste yummy, it gives it a nice creamy milkshake sort of texture. As an added bonus, it provides a lot of health benefits that us fibromyalgia sufferers can benefit from.
Coconut Milk Health Benefits:
- Contains high levels of magnesium which helps to calm overactive nerves and muscles which in turn helps to relieve chronic achy pain. It also helps to regulate heart rhythm and minimize palpitations.
- Contains lauric acid, a medium-chain fatty acid that is abundant in mother’s milk and has anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties. It is also said to help reduce triglyceride and cholesterol levels
- Contains magnese which helps to metabolize glucose, prevent inflammation and increase vitamin absorption
- Contains selenium which helps to reduce inflammation and joint pain
- Contains phosphorous that helps to strengthen bones and teeth
- Contains potassium which supports heart, kidney, brain and muscle tissue
- Contains iron which helps to create red blood cells and carry oxygen through the body
- Rich in antioxidants which kill off free radicals that are responsible for a whole host of medical issues such as Alzheimer’s, dementia, cardiovascular disease and cancer
- It is a great source of healthy fat which helps to raise our good HDL cholesterol levels. These healthy fats also keep you feeling full longer and satiate the receptors in the brain that control appetite.
- High in fiber to keep you feeling full longer and helps to keep you regular, easing IBS symptoms.
- Rich in vitamins C & E to help keep your immune system strong
- Loaded with vitamins B1, B3, B5 and B6 which provide energy to our fatigued cells
- It is lactose free and is easy to digest for those of use that are lactose intolerant
- Helps to fortify and condition the hair and skin. It even aides in diminishing wrinkles and baggy skin.